Metamask is the most popular wallet in crypto But when you are a beginner, Metamask is NOT easy. In this article I will explain what is Metamask, and how to integrate it with a Dapp, in a simple way .
Metamask has more than 10M users. It works on Ethereum, and all Blockchain based on Ethereum, like Binance Smart Chain or Polygon. Metamask stores the private keys of users. Each private key is associated to a public Ethereum address The private key never leaves the wallet, and is used to sign transactions. The address identifies an account and can be shown to anyone.
When a user uses a Dapp:
- The user clicks on a button to perform some action
- The Dapp creates a transaction
- The user confirms the transaction, using a Metamask popup
- Finally, the transaction is sent to Ethereum by Metamask.
To install Metamask, go to the google chrome store, search for the metamask extension, and install it . After, you should see a fox icon in your extension menu.
When you open Metamask for the first time, it’s going to ask you to create a password and a new account. After you finish the setup, you will have a few addresses with their associated private keys.
If you connect Metamask to a local development Blockchain, like Ganache, there are a few caveats.
- It can be useful to synchronize the accounts of Ganache with Metamask. For this, you can import the mnemonic phrase of Ganache into Metamask.
- Every time you restart Ganache, Make sure to click on reset accounts in Metamask settings. If you don’t do it your transactions will fail.
- @metamask/detect provider, for something simple
- Or web3-react, if you need something more powerful
Leave a Reply